StumbleUpon seems to be everyone’s favorite social media site these days. One of the reasons to love SU is its active community of users. As a part of that community, being a great “friend” to other users can enhance everyone’s experience with StumbleUpon. Here is a quick look at 10 ways to be a better friend to other users.
1. Add as friends those who actively stumble your submissions, stumble your pages, and/or those who have added you as a friend. Because of SU’s limit on the number of friends that you can have, you may not be able to add everyone that adds you, but you should at least make an effort to add those that help you in one way or another.
2. Visit the websites/blogs of your friends and stumble the good stuff. As a friend, you should ideally be eager to stumble the content of others, which of course will help them by sending visitors their way. I think we all appreciate friends that aren’t in it just for their own purposes. By looking out for your friends and being ready and willing to give them a hand (or a thumb in this case), you will show your friends that you truly want them to benefit.
3. Thumb up the pages sent to you by your friends (if the content is worthy). One of StumbleUpon’s unique features is its system of sharing content easily without involving email. Just by using the toolbar you can share and receive content. When your friends are sending something your way, be willing to give it a thumbs up if you like and appreciate the content. More than likely, others will return the favor when you share something with them.
4. Be an active user. As with other social media websites, StumbleUpon has a wide variety of activity from its users. Some people seem like they must be using SU 24 hours a day, while others only use the site on rare occasions. By being an active user you will obviously be more involved in the networking that is going on, and you can be more valuable to your friends. Especially with the limit of friends that can be added, no one wants to have friends that haven’t touched SU in months.
5. Share content with friends if you think they will appreciate it. StumbleUpon has an incredible audience of users that love to find high-quality content in their areas of interest. If you come across something that you think one of your friends would appreciate, why not share it with them? Sharing your own content is practiced by many StumbleUpon users and can be beneficial for everyone involved if you are sharing content that is appreciated by your friends.
6. Don’t go overboard with the share feature. One of the reasons I like SU’s share feature more than others is because it really doesn’t seem to be abused. I have no problem at all receiving content from friends, but with a large number of friends this could add up in a hurry if abused. Being a good friend does not involve sharing every post you publish on your blog with all of your friends.
7. Submit reveiws of other users. The SU review system is a great way to show friends that you care by writing something positive about them and adding a thumbs up. Everybody likes to have something nice said about them, so this is definitely a way to win the favor of your friends.
8. Tag submissions appropriately. StumbleUpon users are generally pretty considerate when compared to users of some other social media sites, but some of them can get very bothered if they think a submission is tagged inappropriately. StumbleUpon has many more tags than most other social media sites, so it forces users to be a bit more specific. By choosing tags carefully you will help users to find content that they like and you will help the owner of the content you submit by sending targeted visitors.
9. Follow the activities/stumbles of your friends. Every StumbleUpon user likes to see others getting involved with the content that they have submitted. By looking at what your friends have submitted you can find great content and you can also support the efforts of your friends.
10. Communicate with your friends through SU’s email system. One of the nice features of StumbleUpon is that you can easily send messages through the profile pages of other users. This is a great way to enhance the networking aspect of SU and to build the relationships that you make there.